Sparkpeople likes to put stress on what they call their “Woohoo Wednesdays.” Basically, it’s a day to acknowledge even little successes: whether it’s through weight loss or other personal goals.
I’ll be honest here. I’ve been struggling a bit with self-control when it comes to my eating habits and compulsive overeating. Let’s just say that I can’t ask my parents to buy the Kashi GoLean Crunchy bars at Costco, I have to stick to buying them one at a time for now.
I’m normally not an optimistic person. In fact, my pessimism might be one of my worst qualities. For some reason, however, I’ve been a little more optimistic. Sure, twice within the past week (Tuesday and last Friday) I’ve gone above and beyond my calorie limits, but I actually can’t help focusing on the successes: even among the so-called dieting “failures.”
- I’ve done a workout every Monday through Saturday since re-starting Spark on August 1. Most days have been 20 minute workouts (Jillian Michael’s 30 Day Shred) although these past couple days I’ve only done a short 12 minute Walk Away the Pounds 1 mile workout. Still, this is the longest I’ve ever worked out consistently. More impressively, I even worked out on days I’ve binged. Historically speaking, those are days I’m less likely to do anything except sit around and stuff my face even more.
- For the first time, I’m actually tracking my binges. Sure, I have to estimate a bit, but I’m writing down everything I’ve been eating: even if the numbers are scary.
- Yesterday (Tuesday) I made sure to measure my portions instead of just digging in and pigging out at random.
- I refused chips on Friday even though I was a bit off-plan. Chips can be one of my biggest weaknesses, and I try to avoid them in social settings because they are very easy for me to overeat and hard for me to measure/track accurately.
- I decided to order spaghetti squash with my ribs at Ruby Tuesdays last night. Sure, I also got fries, but the “before” me would have gotten both fries and sweet potato fries. I still got one healthy side.
- I’ve been drinking enough fluids (mostly water and tea).
- I’ve realized that even though I am still a little weak around junk food, the thought of having some fresh fruit (especially cherries- you have to get them while you don’t have to spend your life savings on them) sounds much more appealing than most desserts right now. I’m also a little excited to have a veggie-centered lunch tomorrow: one that will include spaghetti squash, spinach, mushrooms, garlic, and maybe some tofu. (I’ve also been having a number of vegetarian meals/days lately). I’m actually excited to go to the Farmer’s Market for produce; I might even use it as a exercise reward for tomorrow!